Saturday, January 08, 2005

Back in Business

Almost as soon as I set foot in my door after a fairly lengthy vacation, I (a) came down with a cold and (b) lost all of the data on my harddrive. Fortunately, everything important was backed up. So I have just finished wiping the harddrive and reinstalling the operating system and all of the software. It is actually sort of exhilarating to have what feels like a brand new computer again. Maybe I'll start doing this every month.

What happened? Some sort of software malfunction. It is difficult to say because I had been updating anti-virus software as well as loading some other programs.

On the whole, the process of reinstalling everything, which was aided greatly by my brother's knowledge and patience, went smoothly for the most part. The next time I buy a computer, however, it is definitely going to be a Mac. If you have ever experienced something like this, you might appreciate an article entitled "How to install Windows XP in 5 hours or less." Here are the first twelve steps (out of 147):

1. Back up entire d: drive to iMac upstairs. rsync rocks.
2. Find Windows XP install disc.
3. Reboot with Windows XP install disc.
4. Asked for product activation. Curse Microsoft.
5. Search my house in vain for my original, 100% legitimate, retail Windows XP box.
6. Reboot.
7. Search control panels in vain for a window, dialog, tab, or pane that displays my current product key.
8. Search Google for “windows xp get current product key".
9. Find a utility on a cracker web page in Russia that displays the current product key. This is one of the more lame utilities, since most of the good ones allow you to change it. I don’t wish to change it; I actually have a perfectly good product key, I just don’t know what it is.
10. Reboot with Windows XP install disc.
11. Reboot repeatedly as required.
12. Boot screen. Choose between “Windows XP Professional” and “Windows XP Professional". Brilliant. Pick one. The wrong one. Boot into f**ked Windows XP install. Hard reboot. Pick the right one. Make mental note to hack boot.ini later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home